Community Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Do I need to disinfect packages and mail before taking into my house?  

(@eric-lyons)

Just wondering if I should worry about disinfecting packages and mail before taking them into my house.  If so, what should I use?

Posted : 05/04/2020 7:47 am
Topic Tags
Forum Admin
(@forum-admin)
Member Admin

The CDC and WHO agree that risk of COVID-19 surviving and being transmitted on mail is low. To be extra cautious, some countries are suggesting precautions such as handling mail with gloves if available, throwing away any junk/unnecessary mail or external packaging before it comes in the house, and (most importantly) washing hands thoroughly after handling mail. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2020 9:59 am
 AJ
(@ajohio)

Based on this CDC page, there's been no documented surface to people transmission. Of course that can change as they learn more. So it's a (very) low risk, as opposed to doing things like grocery shopping, but not no-risk. 

If you do want to spray the exterior, a deluted bleach spray would work. Based on most shipping times, the inside has probably been untouched for the hours or days to let the virus expire naturally. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cleaning-disinfection.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2020 7:14 am
Share: